Tuesday 24 February 2015

E!’s Fashion Police Giuliana Rancic Lambasted for Saying Zendaya, on Oscars Night, Looked Like She Smelled of ‘Patchouli Oil and Weed’.


While I was cheering Zendaya on for wearing locs to the Academy Awards, I had a feeling not everyone would ‘get it’ or be appreciative of her hairstyle.
Cue Giuliana Rancic, who in attempt to be humorous on E!’s Fashion Police, was downright offensive, saying that Zendaya in white Vivienne Westwood looked like she smelled of, ” like patchouli oil… or maybe weed,’ because of her loc’ed hairstyle.

zendaya oscars vivienne westwood
I don’t see it.
Zendaya fired back, saying, “There is a fine line between what is funny and disrespectful. Someone said something about my hair at the Oscars that left me in awe. Not because I was relishing in rave outfit reviews, but because I was hit with ignorant slurs and pure disrespect.”

zendaya academy awards viivenne westwood locs
She continued, “To say that an 18-year-old young woman with locs must smell of patchouli oil or “weed” is not only a large stereotype but outrageously offensive. I don’t usually feel the need to respond to negative things but certain remarks cannot go unchecked.’
zendaya academy awards locs faux vivienne westwood gown
She went on to name a series of luminaries and family members who have locs, writing, “I’ll have you know my father, brother, best childhood friend, and all my little cousins have locs. Do you want to know what Ava Duvernay (director of Oscar nominated film Selma), Ledisi (9 time Grammy Award nominated singer songwriter/actress), Terry McMillan (author), Vincent Brown (Professor of African-American studies at Harvard University), Heather Andrea Williams (Historian who also possesses a JD from Harvard University and an MA and PHD from Yale University), as well as many other women and children of all races have in common? Locs. None of which smell of marijuana.” Preach, nah!
ava-duvernay-87th-annual-academy-awards
After considerable social media pressure, Rancic responded, “Dear @Zendaya, I’m sorry I offended you and others. I was referring to a bohemian chic look. Had NOTHING to do with race and NEVER would!!!” Of course Twitter wasn’t having it.
giuliana rancic 2015 awards oscars academy rs_634x1024-150222131456-634-giuliana-rancic-oscars.ls.22215
Dear everyone: when will the ignorance end? Especially when it comes to black culture, hair, and history?
What do you think of this feud?
See Giuliana’s offense here:

*Read Zendaya’s full open letter here:
zendaya locs response twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment