Monday 26 October 2015

Scoop: Makeup Artist Jennilie Perreault @JCoperro Run Off Of Instagram Account After Applying ‘African-American Makeup’

Makeup Artist Jennilie Perreault Forced to Delete Instagram Account After Applying 'African-American Makeup'
Makeup Artist Jennilie Perreault @JCoperro was run off of Instagram after posting a picture, saying, “Today, I decided to turn myself into an African-American, at least I tried!
Immediately, her followers started accusing her of using black face. She deleted her account @JCoperro, only to create a new account, @JCoppero_. On it, she posted the following apology, “Allow me to apologize for what I did yesterday. My behavior was extremely inappropriate. It was embarrassing, but I learned that nobody appreciated my poor behavior. In the future, I have every intention of curbing my thoughtless actions and learn to adjust my behavior. Again, I am sorry for my actions and I hope that we can put this matter behind us.”Her detractors wrote, “While I don’t think she did a bad job makeup wise, I’m not sure what made her think this was a good idea. I can understand the people who are saying at least she wasn’t doing it to be hurtful or malicious but when you live in a country that has a long history of minorities being portrayed as costumes, this is the reaction you’re going to get.” Others supported her work, writing, “It’s nothing wrong with this at all, She wanted to be an African American for her photo shoot or whatever, At least she looks nice and is embracing the color and not saying anything negative , Yall take sh*t too serious , Especially blacks.”
http://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/jcoperro-makeup-artist.jpg
Race still matters in America. And our current political climate is too sensitive for people to take these artistic liberties.
Jennilie Perreault
What do you think? Was her picture innocent or completely ignorant?

No comments:

Post a Comment